We are thankful to all of you for your presence here to cover this Press Conference. Pakistan Medical Association (Centre) today had its Central Council Meeting in Karachi. The meeting was presided over by Dr. Muhammad Ashraf Nizami, President PMA Centre. Central Councilors from all over Pakistan attended the meeting.
The following points were discussed at large in the meeting regarding health care system and medical education in the country.
- The Central Council of PMA criticized and showed its deep concern over the recommendations furnished by high-powered panel of the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PMDC) on the fee increase of 25%. According to these recommendations the tuition fee will be increased from 642,000 to 800,000. These recommendations appeared to be only benefit and empower private medical colleges. This was all in contrast to the PMDC Regulations 2016 for admissions to MBBS & BDS. The Federal Government and the Pakistan Association of Private Medical and Dental Institutions (PAMI) had influenced the PMDC to make such unique recommendations. The board recommended that the candidates will have to deposit fee for five-year program in the form of post-dated cheques, which is so far unmatched rule in the history of the medical education. PMA demands independent, autonomous and transparent PMDC.
- The Council showed its deep concern over the process of entry test for admissions in medical colleges. The Entry Test for admission in public sector medical colleges in Sindh conducted by National Testing Service (NTS) on 22nd October, 2017 were cancelled after inquiry due to the leakage of a questionnaire just a day before the exam, allegedly in connivance with the NTS staff to mint money. The things happen in the same way in other provinces including Punjab. PMA demands that these entry tests should immediately be banned all over Pakistan and instead of conducting these tests the intermediate examination system should be improved and made foolproof. The admissions in the medical colleges only be given on the basis of the results of the intermediate examinations.
- Pakistan Medical Association under the central leadership has taken steps by joining International forums, most prominently, the World Medical Association (WMA) and Confederation of Medical Associations of Asia & Oceania (CMAAO). At the regional level PMA was recently invited to attend the General Assembly of the CMAAO which was organized by Japan Medical Association in Tokyo, President PMA Centre Prof. Ashraf Nizami and Dr. Qaisar Sajjad, Secretary General presented PMA.
We are very proud to announce that in a correspondence addressed to PMA Centre, WMA Secretary General Dr. Otmar Kloiber officially intimated that the General Assembly, during its plenary session in Chicago, United States, on October 14, 2017 had awarded the membership of World Medical Association (WMA) to Pakistan Medical Association. The PMA now intends to play its due role in the global mainstream.
4. The Central Council discussed in detail the increasing incidence of antibiotic resistance poses a serious threat to public health and there is an urgent need that people, particularly health professionals, exercise caution and do not use or prescribe the drugs unless their need is indicated by relevant laboratory tests. Repeated and improper use of antibiotics is the primary cause of increase in drug-resistant bacteria. While antibiotics should be used to treat bacterial infections, they are not effective against viral infections like the common cold, most sore throats, and the flu. Smart use of antibiotics is important in controlling the spread of resistance in germs.
- PMA delegation will participation in National Congress of Chinese Medical Association and 2nd Pak-China Med Cong from 25th Jan-2018 to 28th Jan-2018 at Beijing.
- Prof. Muhammad Ashraf Nizami, President, PMA Centre
- Dr. S.M.Qaisar Sajjad, Secretary General PMA Centre
- Dr. Ikram Ahmed Tunio, President Elect PMA Centre
- Dr. Qazi M. Wasiq, Treasurer PMA Centre
- Dr. Talha Sherwani, Joint Secretary PMA Centre
- Dr. Izhar Ahmed Chaudhry, President PMA Punjab
Dr. Ahmed Bhimani, General Secretary PMA Karachi.