Karachi May 13: The Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation (SIUT) this evening (Saturday) arranged an event to mark the completion of hundred years journey of one of its important building known as OPD 14 is located inside Civil Hospital premises Built hundred years ago by a philanthropist of Karachi Seth Goverdhandhas Motilal Mohatta in 1917 and building the initially functioned as an eye ward of the Civil Hospital till nineties when SIUT took over. Now SIUT runs various out door facilities in the building.
Seth Mohatta who hailed from Marwar and later settled down in Karachi built some historical buildings in the city including Mohatta Palace and Hindu Gymkhana.
To commemorate the centurion journey of the building the SIUT hosted a reception and paid rich tributes to Mohatta. Event was largely attended by people from various walks of life included conservationists and architects. Also present on the occasion were trustees and board of governors of SIUT. The speakers which included Mr. Hameed Haroon, Ms. Marvi Mazhar, Mr. Noman Ahmed and Mr. Hameed Akhud appreciated the decision of the Sindh Government Department of culture which has declared the building as a heritage site and restricted any structural change in the original design of the building. They also paid tributes to Seth Mohatta for his noble gesture who left some landmark buildings in Karachi. The speakers also complimented SIUT for its maintenance and using the premises for the care and relief of the people.
Director SIUT Prof Adib Rizvi who welcomes the guest informed that OPD block can see thirty patients at a time along with facilities of radiology, small laboratory and preserves the record of 60 thousand patients.
The speakers pointed out that buildings like Seva Kunj and Seren Gati buildings are lying vacant and not being put to good use for the public. They recommended that the owner should be approached to make these heritage buildings useful.